Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Status of the Project

Simulation Software

While it has taken me an exceptionally long time to accept this, I have to admit: most of the material below is dense to the point of incomprehensible, and while the "why" does take up a lot of space, the "what" can be summed up pretty quickly. To whit: a few of the central conclusions of all of my research are that

1) We all need as much information as we can get, about everything.

2) A completely vital and irreplaceable part of getting this information is having personal, face-to-face conversations.

3) How much people talk to one another (at all, but particularly in person) is profoundly affected by their physical environment---in particular, who they're physically close to, and who they can see. I.e. very simple, physical, measurable things.

WHAT THIS MEANS THOUGH is that the amount of information exchanged within a building/block/city/society (and thus the success with which the people in this society are able to lead healthy, fulfilling lives) is strongly dependent upon its physical layout. This has been known and studied for years, but---ASTOUNDINGLY, PRACTICALLY NEVER QUANTITATIVELY. And without question, the relationship between physical environment and basic statistics such as the number, length, and variety of personal interactions that happen within that space has never been studied with the full force of the tools that now exist.

Now: I plan on doing a good deal of this work in a PhD/the future/the time before I die, BUT! others will always be more than welcome to contribute what they can to this vast question, and to help them do so, I would like to share what I have produced so far---to my knowledge, the very first simulation program that is intended to be able to probe this environment/interactions relationship.

Since I don't know how to upload files at the moment, simply email me if you want the code, and a description of how to use it.

1 comment:

  1. Don't know of any good publishers or agents to recommend, but GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete